Tuesday, November 15, 2005

O Canada!


O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.




Do you remember the days when "O Canada" was played in the cinemas before a movie?

Every (or almost every) morning from Monday to Friday, I get to hear our National anthem sung by "Giselle and Sticks" on TVO Kids. At 6am to start the day, they sing "O Canada". Sticks adds a little extra umph at the end, which is a hoot because at 6am I can't always sing along. It is great. My little guy is now learning our anthem and he doesn't even know it.

It has me thinking this morning though. Why is it that we don't hear it as often anymore? I truly think I only hear it at sporting events like Football and Hockey and on Canada Day. We used to sing it every morning at school, but I am not sure they even do that anymore. Has "O Canada" gone away with the Lord's Prayer? I am not actually sure how to get more of it in our lives other than singing it ourselves. It really had me thinking of all the times I heard it growing up, both in English and French. I guess this morning I really missed the patriotic side of me that used to hum it at school while doing work in class.

Here is a brief little summary of the history of our National anthem. If you want the full story you can go directly to the website and read all about it :).

"O Canada" was proclaimed Canada's national anthem on July 1, 1980, 100 years after it was first sung on June 24, 1880. The music was composed by Calixa Lavallée, a well-known composer; French lyrics to accompany the music were written by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier. The song gained steadily in popularity. Many English versions have appeared over the years. The version on which the official English lyrics are based was written in 1908 by Mr. Justice Robert Stanley Weir. The official English version includes changes recommended in 1968 by a Special Joint Committee of the Senate and House of Commons. The French lyrics remain unaltered.

Perhaps, I have you humming along with me now that you have read this?

7 Comments:

Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Thye play the Nathion athem over the loud speaker in Miranda's school and one teacher had the nerve tot ell Miranda NOT to sing becasue it was disrespectful. She kept singing. The teacher is not there anymore quit 2 weeks ago.

In elementray school we fought to have it played at all assemblys. And you what a problem that is here in Quebec at times.

I'm glad they do it on t.v before the shows start.

Hugs
SHaron

8:36 AM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

Hey Sharon, I forgot about the Quebec issues!! Ironically the French words are the only ones that have not changed over the years. How sad eh?

Anna

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Beachmama!

Growing up in Montreal, I rememebr the National Anthem when we would sing it as a school in kindergarten, then came 1976 and the first referendum, that was the end of that!

I know in the schools I have worked at (Catholic Board) that it is manditory to be sung at the beginning of each morning. Though, some of those recording I have heard are pretty dated! I beleive it still goes on before announcements at my teen's high school too!

Colin has been picking it up from sporting events and sings his version before starting any hockey games with his big brother! Something I encourage!

Brenda

11:43 AM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I love your national anthem. And it is much easier on the vocal chords to sing than ours!

8:04 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

We sang it in church last week and I got a little emotional. I too miss that we hear it less. Better go to more hockey games I guess.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They play it at my kids' schools every morning and no matter where you are in the school, you have to stop, stand and listen. So it's still with us quite regularly, along with hockey games we watch.

Isn't it ironic that the Canadian anthem was written by French Canadians? And that it took so long for it to become official?

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work
Anti depressants find information on anti depressants Sports promotional gifts kitchen equipment average auto insurance http://sport-2784.8m.net/Sports_video_recorders.html Dallas gmc truck Robs sports fun Jorden shoe 31 woman hair loss dry skin

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home