Friday, November 11, 2005

Remembering Rememberance Day

When I was a young girl (oh so many years ago!). Rememberance Day was a Statutory Holiday. We used to stay home from school and all the stores were closed, my Dad would be home from work and we would watch the ceremonies on TV and remember all the lives that were given up so we could be here.

Then, when I was in grade 8, we had to go to school. The Government decided that Rememberance Day should no longer be a holiday as the kids were actually forgetting what it was all about. Instead we had Assemblies and celebrated in a way that was different.

Every year, I want to go Downtown to watch the ceremonies and this year I was going to go. But, "J" cries everytime he hears a bagpipe and gets very sad and overcome when he sees the soldiers on TV. So I decided it would be best not to go this year. After reading Nancy's story of her little guy, I just wanted to remember to say Thank You to all the men and women who gave up so much so we could all be here today.

Thank you

4 Comments:

Blogger Running2Ks said...

Here here! And the day should still be taken off to go see parades and remember.

7:30 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

We never had the day off from school, but we always had an assembly/service and a minute of silence around 11 AM. Then I worked for the government and had the day off, but everything else kept on running - why is it only civil servants are provided the special day to honour those who deserve it most?

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't realize there was no school here on that day years ago.

Nancy, taht's exactly what I said on your blog!

11:04 PM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

I still turn on the t.v a few minutes before 11 and stand quite durning that time. Nathan asked what i was doing this year and after it was done I told him we standing quite for the men and woman who died fighting wars to keep our place to live safe. HE just stood there too and listened to the bag pipes and JUMPED when the guns went off. I'm not sure he understood but he seemed to.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home