Friday, December 07, 2007

Yes, BeachMama, there is a Santa Clause

This morning I am thinking of Virginia O'Hanlon and her letter to Santa.

Yesterday, we had our visit with Santa and it was great. J really truly believes this year and it may just be the only year. We waited our turn and by the time we got to Santa J was so nervous he started saying "I don't think this is such a good idea". So I told him we just needed a photo for Opa and that he didn't even have to talk to Santa. He wanted Apple to go with him and thankfully she woke up for it. You can see the results of the photo below. Not the best one, but alas we still have a photo for the book.
This particular Santa was fantastic. So much so, that I want to go back and Thank him again for being so great. After the photo was done, he took some time to talk to J and make him feel comfortable. Despite the line up behind us. When I expressed my concern over waiting people he just said, " That's ok, that is part of getting to see me, waiting in line". By the time we left, J was so happy that Santa took the time to talk to him, he practically danced his way through the mall for the rest of our shopping trip. I love Santa.

Growing up my parents made it very clear from an early age that there was no Santa. I don't even know for sure if we ever sat on Santa's lap. It was part of being a Christian for my parents, either you believed in Jesus or Santa and that was it. But, my older Sister and I secretly hoped and believed that Santa was real. We would still leave cookies out, we would still wait up in hopes of seeing him. We believed in the spirit of Santa.

Today, I still believe.

Yes folks, I BeachMama, still believe in Santa.

There I said it. I know that a real person does not come down my gas fireplace chimney and leave gifts made by elves. I know that because I do all the work. But, I still believe in the spirit of Santa. I believe that there is a little Santa in all of us and when I tell J the story of Baby Jesus and that we are celebrating his birthday, I also tell him the story of St. Nicolas and how he left gifts for children who didn't have anything. I tell him that Santa will leave a few gifts and that other family members will leave some too, just like the Wise Men brought gifts for the new Baby. I want my son to love the idea of Santa and to look back and remember that he did believe even if it was for just a few years.

We are going to my younger Sister's house today and her son, J2, does not believe. And goes around telling other children that Santa does not exist. I had to have a discussion with J today about this and let him know that we all have different beliefs. Hubby says that if they argue about it I should just leave. But, I told J not to talk about Santa to J2. I feel sad for my little nephew because he will not have the same joy that a lot of other children have about Santa. I only hope that the kids in his class don't go home crying because he keeps telling them that there is no Santa.


Do you believe?

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Yes Beach Mamma I believe.

I believe that there are many Santa's ina ll shares and sizes, Male and Female that do awesoem things for people who don't have, at Christmas. The people who pick up snowsuits and makes mitts and buys toys, books, make food hampers or just the ordinary joe on the street that hands a homeless man a looney or better yets takes hims somewhere to eat.

Yes I do believe in Santa.

Nathan believes too. By BIL being a minister did the same thing as your family. Told the children from a young age that there was no Santa but it'was just Jesus's birthday. They told them about St. Nick but now how it is a marking ploy. True but how sad not have that magic in our lives. When I see Proof every day that there are Santa's everywhere giving out love that God and Jesus wanted us too.

Gosh that would make a great Blog...Thanks for the idea.
Beautiful picture and where was that awesome Santa? I may take Nathan.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

I want Santa to being me a spell checker or a brain that works.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Oh yeah, Santa lives... I believe and I feel bad for parents who don't give that joy to their kids. Even as a Christian it seems like believing in Santa is a stepping stone to bigger things...

It's one of my favourite memories of my childhood, my parents making that special magic through Santa.

Great post Beachmama and I adore the picture of your sweet ones with Santa. It's a great memory!

2:12 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

Do you believe?
yes, and i believe in fairies too
*claps hands*
love X

4:58 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

I can't say wholeheartedly that I believe; I'm a bit of a Christmas curmudgeon. But then again, the kids have changed that for me, and their genuine excitement gets me going.

The photo of your kids is *awesome.*

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up knowing that St. Nicholas was once a real person who went around giving anonymous gifts, and that now when people give gifts at Christmas sometimes they pretend "Santa" brought the gifts. My parents treated it like a game we played, but we always knew that the gifts were really from our mom and dad. It had nothing to do with being Christian, though we are; it had more to do with the fact that when my mom was a kid and found out that Santa wasn't really bringing presents to her family, she felt like her parents had lied to her. She grew up knowing that she didn't ever want her kids to feel that way.

I never felt cheated. I was always the kid who felt better knowing how the magic trick worked than believing in the magic, anyway. :-) And my brother and I knew we were NEVER, EVER to tell a kid that Santa wasn't real.

2:24 AM  
Blogger chichimama said...

I had a similar post going, but you said it much better.

My sister believe for years, until 5th or 6th grade. I figured it out earlier, but the fun of keeping t from her made me a believer.

I don't go over the top like some trying to get my kids believe, but we do stockings and see santa...

7:14 AM  
Blogger Lukie said...

I most definitely believe in the spirit of Santa. It always makes me sad when I hear stories about parents taking away this special time in a childs life. My son started asking a lot of questions after last Christmas. He no longer believes and this Christmas does not seem as special.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Betsy Mae said...

Oh I believe...my kids believe, my husband believes...it's such a magical time of the year. My daughter attends a Catholic school and she is taught the story of Jesus and what Christmas means from a religeous stand point...I'm glad that she does learn this too. But what is wrong with a little magical innocence. Enjoy the season...great post.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love that photo!!!

I feel the same way you do about the magic of Christmas and the excitement when a child believes there's a Santa Claus! I grew up with lots of cousins around my age and we used to try to stay up and wait for Santa to come to our house and deliver our presents. We all slept over at one of my aunts' houses (yes, ALL of my family...aunts, cousins, uncles, grandparents...we all slept over)! It was so much fun.

Then when my youngest brother was born (I was 11 years old then), one of my cousins went around telling the younger kids that Santa didn't exist. "Look at his shoes! Those are Uncle Robert's shoes!" or "Have you ever seen an Asian Santa Claus before?"...or the best one (to my little brother), "You idiot! Can't you tell that's your Dad??"

I was SO mad that my cousin had to be the ruiner of Christmas. Things just never were the same after that.

1:29 AM  
Blogger Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I'm way late on this...but I totally agree with keeping the magic of Santa alive. This Christmas, we were at a huge pond lighting event, and these 3 boys,maybe 11 or 12, in Boy Scout uniforms even!!, were walking around yelling "Santa is really your parents!"
I chewed them out.
They stopped.
Ugh!

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Infertility Treatment said...

In our pregnancy guide section, we discuss all the common health realted concerns and issues that every pregnant woman faces in her journey toward motherhood starting by signs of pregnancy and tracking your pregnancy week by week.For more information , Please visit http://www.pfcla.com/

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home