Friday, December 16, 2005

Thank you for the support

Thank you all for your support with "A". We have always seen him as a great kid and all of this has been coming as a surprise this week, but again there is more news.

Last night we were thankful of the email exchange that took place between "A"'s Mom and my Husband. For the first time all year she actually called to let us know that "A"'s science teacher phoned! Apparently he felt that handing in homework on a crumpled up piece of scrap paper was acceptable. She basically asked Hubby to bring him home on Saturday night after hockey to talk to him ( I guess things really aren't working for her!). So we have come to a few conclusions.

1. He needs to learn how to respect his elders again. Although he still shows respect here in our household, it is obvious that he does not elsewhere. He will have things taken away and will have to earn back the right to them. I.e. his "music" , he will not be allowed to listen to that band until he can prove he can respect his elders.

2. His marks need to improve. Although not bad, they have been slipping. If his marks do not improve we will not continue to support his hockey playing. It was after he started that his marks started to suffer, so if he cannot pull up his socks then there will be no more hockey. AND ifhe does earn it back, he will also have to contribute finacially as well.

3. He needs to learn to prepare proper homework. Homework will have to be prepared and presented to his teachers properly, or again he will lose his privleges.

We feel this is a good start and perhaps adding in some extra visits here (like she did this weekend) will help him to improve. At the same time she really needs to figure herself out, there will only be so much we can do for her. As I have said, he doesn't behave that way at our house.

Ack! To be raising a teenager, I have a new found respect for my Mom who did it four times spread out over 16 years!!! I love you Mom ( and Dad too!) and Thanks for all you taught me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Running2Ks said...

My parents always said I would appreciate them when I had teenagers (or even challenging kids) of my own. So true. It is great that you are keeping on top of things to help him out.

3:56 AM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Good JOB You two. Sounds like you got a handle on it...now If you could just help me with my spirted 4 yr old, I'd be laughing.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home