Monday, April 24, 2006

For the love of photographs


Ever since I was 13 years old, I have wanted to be a photographer. I had even planned to go to Ryerson to study photography after high-school. Certain things in life occured to change my plans. I didn't finish high-school (missed 1 credit), my parents moved to Manitoba, and I got sucked into working full-time. By that time, I didn't want to go to Toronto and I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to pay for University. All the while I never stopped taking pictures and loving photography.

When I did go to University, I went the "safe" route instead of the "art" route and got a BA, concentration in English and Philosophy (the Greek kind). I loved it and am very happy that I did it. After University I did enroll in a couple of photography courses at Algonquin and have continued with my love of the photograph.

Then came the technology age. Ahh technology, some days you love it some you hate it! Hubby bought me a digital camera when I was pregnant with "J" so I could record his every moment quickly and send photos to family who live far away. I love the digital camera, but slowly I started to use only the digital and no longer my SLR. Something about the instant gratification of downloading a photo, touching it up, printing it off that made me stop.

"A" has become very interested in photography and for Christmas he received a camera from his Opa and Hubby and I. And "A" and I have been working together on taking pictures. He is starting to learn that he needs to bring his camera with him if he doesn't want to miss a photo op. Easter weekend, I encouraged him to bring it with him to take photos on the Market and at the Farm. But, it wasn't until we were there that he realized that he was missing out on taking lots of great photos. I took lots, with my digital, not the same for sure.

Where is this story going, you ask? Well, this weekend Hubby bought me my first digital SLR!! A Nikon D-50 . A gift for our Anniversary, which is next week. I am thrilled and excited and feeling rather silly as digital photography isn't quite the same as manual, so basically I have to start over pretty much from scratch. I have already taken quite a few photos (on the automatic setting), and the clarity is amazing. I feel like I can get back to my grass roots of photography and be a bit more creative. I may even have to enroll in a couple of courses again to learn more about my camera and how to get the most out of it. It will be a fun experience and for sure there will be a lot more photos posted here.

9 Comments:

Blogger twinmomplusone said...

(((me frothing at the mouth)))) lucky you!!!

Like you, I've had a lifelong LOVE for photography. Although I love my digital camera (a Nikon Coolpix 995)which I pretty much exclusively use, I still miss my SLR for action shots and my huge zoom and my polarizer lens. Every once in a while I have to sit down with the Coolpix's manual as there is so much info in there.

There's some good courses, some of them free, with Henry's right here in Ottawa.

Looking forward to many neat pics here ;)

4:42 PM  
Blogger Good Things I Find said...

I saw a commercial for a digital SLR and I thought now that would be a nice camera to own. How lucky are you!!Can't wait to see some photos.

5:00 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

I have been coveting that very camera for a year now. I can't wait till I have more time in life to take some courses, and of course have hunny buy me a digital SLR just like yours!!

6:45 PM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

Hubby asked me how many pictures I took today.... 85.

Is that too many???

Especially since I really am using it just on automatic and don't know how to use all the fun stuff yet. And it wasn't even a sunny outside creative day!

6:55 PM  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

go for it Anna, the beauty of digital, you can click away to your heart's desire!!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

OH SO JEALOUS! And happy Anniversary.
I want one tooo....Can you hear me whine?

7:44 PM  
Blogger T said...

Oh you lucky girl. Not the camera, the hubby who bought it for you. How sweet. Can you have him talk to my hubby? Give him some gift suggestions, Mother's day is coming up.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. That's a sweet camera. I've had the Nikon d-70 for over a year now and I love it. I use it almost exclusively on the shutter setting.

I just looked in our photo library.
We have taken 8433 photos since Thanksgiving 2004.

Call me crazy.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read compare pilates reformer and performer

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home