Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Time Out

We have successfully been able to avoid official "time outs" here, that is until now. Previously, if "J" got into trouble, we had a little chat. If things got a little out of hand he would have to have some alone time in the living room on the couch. My sister uses her stairs for time out, and for some reason this didn't work for "J".

Yesterday, "J" was lying down on the bottom stair with his blanket. I asked him what he was doing, he said taking a time out. He thinks it is fun to get in trouble and be sent to the stair like his cousin.

Recently, we have run into a bit of difficulty with "J" slapping or attempting to slap me, if I took away something he was destroying or if I told him he couldn't do something. Also, he has been pushing his cousin out of the way, although it was his cousin who showed him this. I don't want this behaviour to go unpunished or to continue. So, last Friday after a particularily hard hit to my nose, instinct told me to put him in a chair in the corner of the kitchen where he couldn't see anything and had to stare at the wall. Well, believe it or not, it worked! We have only had to do it maybe three times, but he knows right away that he was wrong. And after his two minutes in the corner, he came out a much calmer, appologetic little boy.

I hope I don't have to use this too often, but I am glad that I found a special way to deal with the bad behaviour here. And hopefully this bad behaviour will be short lived, I don't like to see my good little boy getting mad, especially at me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

I hope it continues to work. I continue to use time outs on the stair daily for hitting (me mostly) and biting (me mostly) and rude talk now. SIGH. WHy does School start in September?

8:43 AM  
Blogger Good Things I Find said...

Time outs don't work that well for me but my children know when they crossed that line because when I've had enough I've had enough. Sometimes it works better when I go to my bedroom for a time out. They always behave better when I return.Sometimes just mentioning that I'm going for a time out straigtens them up.

10:21 AM  
Blogger nancy said...

They tend to work here, always followed with a talk about it, and a mandatory "Sorry for ...fill in the blank" and hugs.

Don't be so surprised, they do work - every watch Supernanny???

10:55 AM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

thinking square, I love your suggestion of a time out for me! I may try that.

nancy, I haven't watched Supernanny, I just can't watch some of those kids and parents yelling at each other :(

Today was a corner free day, I just had to suggest it once and he opted to appologize instead of sitting in the corner. I feel like progress was made.

9:19 PM  
Blogger T said...

I want to go for a time out... Awe come on pleeeease?

11:07 PM  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

Time outs happen here to, for them and for me at times ;)
Except I hide in my room or go outside whereas its the bottom of the stairs or their room for them.

You're doing a great job mom!

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home