Tuesday, August 22, 2006

You know it's a bad day when

Your three year old son says, "Mom, you're a bad Mom".

To put it in context, J was upset that I told him he had to wait until Mommy finished her shower and got dressed before he could have a bath. He had asked me for the 100th time if I was all done, when still wrapped in my towel, I replied, "J, you must practice your patience, Mommy will tell you when it is time for your bath".

That was when he told me I was a bad Mom. Not a bad Mommy, but a bad Mom. Somehow that just seemed worse. He took about 10 minutes to appologize, when I wouldn't talk to him for fear of crying. Hubby thought I was nuts and kept saying he didn't know what he was talking about. But, the truth is that although I am not a bad Mom, he did indeed mean to hurt me by telling me that. He knows what it means to be bad and he thought that I would get upset and give him what he wanted. Instead I took the other road. The one of ignoring for a few minutes until he realized his mistake. Then an appropriate amount of time later (after I had polished my toenails) he got his bath.

No matter what, it still sucks to have your three year old tell you you are a bad Mom.

4 Comments:

Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

OH Anna!

I hear this all the time. And Often. I hear when I have told him for the 50 th time he has to wait or he is not listening THat I'm a BAD MOM and I'm a MEAN MOM! Breaks my heart every time. I tell him that's my job and I can't give him everything he wants all the time and he has to wait. He is getting better but when he is tired MAN it seems relentless.

Hugs from ONE Bad Mom to another.

12:37 PM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

I can remember how upsetting it was the first time my oldest said that to me. It's every mother's fear.

But by the time my fourth kid went through that stage, I knew how to handle it. I told him that what he really meant was, "I am angry with you Mom" and I made him look me in the eyes and say that ....

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once when I wouldn't let my daughter eat candy for lunch, she said "I wish I had another Mommy." Talk about a knife to the heart! Of course, she immediately changed her mind and told me she loved me. It still hurt, though.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Good Things I Find said...

People learn at an early age how to use their words as weapons. I guess as a mom we have to carry a big shield.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home