Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Two more Sleeps

J has been waiting for his birthday for a long time. We kept telling him after J2 has his birthday yours will come. J2's birthday came and went and it was disaterous. J2 kept crying saying he didn't want to get older! He is three for crying out loud. Just imagine when he turns 30.

When I told Jonathan he had two more sleeps until his birthday he was so excited. He has been telling everyone all day long, "Two more sleeps until my birthday" with such enthusiasm that I wish it was his birthday today.

I thought it was appropriate to go with the two more sleeps as it was two days before his birthday that my labour for him started. It started around 11am at the grocery store. Hubby and I were picking up last minute things for Opa who was driving from B.C and was scheduled to arrive the next day. For the first few hours I just felt crampy and uncomfortable. We had dinner at my parents house that night (it was a Saturday) and it wasn't until 7pm that I realized that the cramps I was having were coming at regular intervals.

I waited for the right moment, on the way home in the car to tell Hubby that I thought I was in labour. We called the midwife and she told me to take a gravol and a tylenol and go to bed. And to call her if the labour increased or if the contractions came closer than five minutes appart. They did not. I woke up every five minutes all night long.

And all day Sunday.... and all Sunday night, the difference being that Sunday night they were really starting to hurt. When I called my midwife Monday morning I told her that there was no way I would make it through another day. She was amazed that I had made it that long and told me to get everything ready she was on her way. By the time we were ready it was 10am, things were looking good, my midwife arrived, did a check, and I was 5cm dialated and getting ready to go. We had some lunch and by noon, I was up to 7cm, so she broke my water. Within two hours the last 3cm dialated and we were ready to push. Two hours of pushing, trying everything from a bath to laying on pillows to standing, J arrived. 4pm on the nose, on a Monday afternoon, just like the rest of his cousins. It was glorious day. I was swollen from the heat (we didn't have airconditioning) but, I was allowed a shower because I was such a good girl. We ate egg salad sandwiches and welcomed company a few hours later.

It was great. Opa had arrived Sunday afternoon, thankful that he hadn't missed any of the action. My Mom was so excited she made a mess in my kitchen instead of cleaning my house. We can only hope to do it again one day, but if it isn't possible, I do have a great memory of bringing J into this world.

Happy two days before your birthday baby boy. I can't believe you are almost three!


Blogger nancy said...

Happy early birthday little J !!!!

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Snack Mommy said...

Wow, I don't think I ever heard you birth story. I love hearing how little J came to join us :~)

12:21 AM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Happy early birthday J!!!

8:54 AM  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

Had never heard your birth story either so thanks for sharing. Love these stories, all so unique and special just like the little miracles that babies are.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home