Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Another Happy Sad Day


Yesterday was one of those happy sad days. My parents, J and I attended a funeral in Verdun, a suburb of Montreal. A family friend passed away. He was only 50 years old. But, and yes there is a but, he has lived a full and beautiful life. When he was born 50 years ago, he was deprived of oxygen. It was never said what condition he had exactly, possibly cerebral palsy. For 50 years he spread joy and happiness. His parents, at a time when kids were put into homes, kept him home with them. Loved and nurtured him and never spent a day without him in 50 years. His parents are now in their late 80's.

When most others are spending their retirement years resting, they have been taking care of their son. His father said to me yesterday, "We were so worried about his quality of life after we would be gone. Now, we don't have to worry, he is in a better place that we could ever give him.". The pastor remarked how he was such a happy man, a man who to most of us was still like a child, he was always smiling, always keeping everyone on time and never forgot anything.

When I was about ten, I kissed him on the cheek when we said goodbye. He never forgot that kiss. I was very embarrased for years, we would see him and he would run up to me and point to his cheek for a kiss. I didn't know at ten that he would never forget, but he didn't . As years went on, I was no longer embarassed. It became such a treat that he sought me out at family functions for his kiss.

I say family functions, because even though he is not directly related to me, his Grandfather and my Grandfather were best friends. They travelled together from Indiana to open and work in the Congoleum (the stuff that came before Linoleum) Plant. His Grandfather decided that he had enough of the asbestos and big city of Montreal, so he took his family to Delaware and bought a farm. If it weren't for Popop as we used to call him, I would not have the love for Delaware I have today. Sadly, my Grandfather passed before he could make the break back to Indiana, but if he had gone back, I might not be here today to tell the tale.

This happy member of our extended family will be greatly missed, but we all know he is in a much better place and I am sure it won't be too too many years before he will see his Mom and Dad again. I hope he is having a great time with Popop and my Grandpa right now.

4 Comments:

Blogger twinmomplusone said...

what a lovely post Anna, a beautiful ode to a very special human being

12:09 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

Very nicely written. Thought are with you and your family. Nice to hear you have such fond memories.

8:32 AM  
Blogger YourFireAnt said...

I felt joy after reading this post. Your brother/friend's delight in a simple kiss on the cheek, his keeping everybody on time...all this makes the picture you've drawn here come alive. Who could ask for a better eulogy.


FA

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How beautiful to have such a wonderful person in your life. We should all hope to have a lasting effect on those we meet.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home