Tuesday, December 26, 2006

What exactly is Boxing Day?



We had this discussion today and silly me, thought it actually had to do with boxing! Either that or emptying out the stores. The sadest part of all, is that I actually knew it was based on giving gifts in a box to employees or the like the day after Christmas. It is the feast of Stephen, something I learned about back in 1977 when I lived in England.

Boxing Day is a public holiday celebrated in the United Kingdom and most other Commonwealth countries on December 26th, the day after Christmas Day.

I actually remember when the stores were closed on Boxing Day and the sales started on the 27th. No longer. We thought we would try to get a new DVD player today because ours gave up the ghost on Christmas Eve. And well, truth be told, I need that little tool in my hands, especially in later afternoon when I need my 20 minutes. Well, the line ups just to get into electronic the stores were 40 deep. Hubby and I drove around until we found one that had no line-ups but great deals. Walked out with the new player and headed home to try it out.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, we certainly did here. The grass was green (hence the photo up top) but this morning, much to J's surprise, the snow finally came. Apparently just in time for the Blue Goose to take flight, which of course left my mother worried sick that my Sister was driving through the blinding snow. Apparently it was just for us here in Ottawa and she had a great fifteen hour trip back to Charlotte... I should mention that she is already two hours into her trip to Kansas City, she had to unload the Goose and pick up the crew for a trip to a conference. Oh to be 23 again!!!

Happy Boxing Day everyone.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger chichimama said...

Happy boxing day a day late to you too!

Glad you had a wonderful Christmas, and and enjoy the new DVD...

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew there was such a day. Glad to hear you had a wonderful Christmas!

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home