Saturday, December 16, 2006

Memories of years gone by

I wish I had a way of putting some photos from the 8mm film I have been watching on here, but alas, there is no way.

My mother had a box of old films from her Mother. It has sat in the garage at my parents house for the last eight or nine years. And before that in storage in Montréal. This past summer, my cousin in Calgary was telling my Mom how he just watched her wedding. Her wedding! She did not even know a move existed from that fabulous day. She asked me to ask my cousin to send it out. I kept forgetting, then I remembered, I thought it would be a great Christmas present.

The movies finally arrived. My cousin, bless his heart, did not know which reel it was on so he sent me all of them. All fifteen of them. I thought last night would be a good night to go through the movies. I started with the ones my Mom had and cried when I saw my Grandma dancing on the sidewalk at Niagra Falls. Then I cried when I saw a beautiful younger version of my Mom laughing with her boyfriend, a very handsome younger version of my Dad. There was even one from 1985 with all of us. A baby sister, younger sister and older sister and of course Mom, Dad and Grandma. My StepGrandfather and the only Grandfather I ever met took the film, so I only got to see him once for just a little second.

There were movies of New York City, a skyline without the towers. But, you could see the Empire State building, the Statue of Liberty and The Upper East Side. It was amazing. There were also movies of Newbraska and Delaware and Maine. I had a wonderful night of crying, laughing and remembering. I just felt terrible that I was not sharing with my sister's and parents at the time, their turn will come. Hopefully one of the last three reels will have the coveted wedding I am looking for. I simply cannot wait to show these movies at Christmastime. Then, straight to DVD so we can keep them for a long time to come.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We actually found someone who put all our old 8mm movies onto DVD. It was kind of expensive but memories like those are priceless!

4:36 PM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

I love watching old family films and slides. On holidays, my family gets together at my mother's house and we watch stuff like that. We all scream with laughter at some of the outfits.

11:48 AM  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

oh how fun!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

How awesome. How very awesome.

Hugs

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home