Thursday, December 14, 2006

Paying it forward

Today was visit Santa day. J was great. He brought his "Sears Wish Book" from Northern Mom with him. I told J he could only show Santa one page with something he wanted on it due to the line ups and restless children behind him. He showed Santa the 'hockey set'. The set that comes with a mat that looks like ice and two nets, sticks and balls. We were hoping he was still on the big net for the driveway as this set would take up the basement, but he wants the indoor set.

Santa was such a trooper, he is a gentle, friendly man, who lets so many kids cry sit and pull his real beard all day long, every day for the whole holiday season. And he even gave me two candy canes so I could enjoy some sugar too.

When I was a kid, my parents didn't take us to see Santa. It just didn't jive with our religious beliefs. I always knew Santa was a pretend character, but something in me always hoped that he was a little real. My Sister and I would leave out milk and cookies, just in case. And we would try to stay awake just in the off chance that he would fly over our house.

As the years have gone on I realize that Santa is very real in each and every one of us and it just depends on how the tradition is viewed. I am trying hard to teach J about both Santa and the reason we have Christmas to begin with. I want him have the love of giving that I have as well as the appreciation of the true birthday we are celebrating.

After our visit with Santa, I needed (ok, wanted) a Chai LatteƩ so J and I went to Second Cup (no Starbucks in that mall). We only went to see Santa, no shopping for me today as I wanted to get back home to rest. J wanted to buy a cookie for him and his cousin J2, so I said he could. The lady in front of me insisted I go before her so J would not get impatient. I told her it was ok, he was learning how to wait, but she insisted. I wanted to buy her coffee, but was shuffled along and moved to the side I couldn't find out what she was ordering. And couldn't figure out how to pay for it from the other side of the counter. I really wanted to do something nice, she was so sweet and pleasant, which is rare this time of year. But, when I turned around she was gone.

J and I headed out to the car and there was a Salvation Army Kettle with the Officer jingling his bells. J asked what he was doing, so I explained that he was collecting money for those who don't have any. J wanted to put money in the pot. I thought it was a great idea, so I gave J the money and he deposited in the kettle and I got to feel like I was paying it forward just a little today.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger twinmomplusone said...

That is ONE handsome young man Beach mama!

We still haven't made our trek to the mall to see Santa, onwe of our yearly traditions. Not sure where we'll fit it in. They're really going to see him 5 times in all at different occasions so not sure they'll miss teh mall visit BUT I really want that pic of them with Santa to add to teh collection!

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter is finally old enough to understand the Salvation Army's little red bucket. She was thrilled when she was able to give them a little something. It's nice for her to see a different side of Christmas.

11:38 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

your christmas *angel* at second cup was so gorgeous.
i'm sending my love out into the universe to her.....

1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love you to post maybe a cookie recipe a day sounds like your baking
is good. Always looking for great ideas

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great picture. J looks so good. I like your Santa much better than ours, too.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Nice Shot. Your doing the right thing. I'm scared to take Nathan to the mall this time of year. Don't want to deal with his temper tanturms.

Hugs

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home