Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Peppermint Bark

One of my favourite recipes to make this time of year is Martha's Peppermint Bark. It is so simple and quick to make, yet it elegant and tasty.

The recipe is as follows:
2lbs white chocolate
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract and twelve big or twenty four small red and white candy canes .

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (if you don't have a double boiler a heat proof bowl over a pot of boiling water will work.)

Put the candy canes in a ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin until 1/4"pieces.

Add extract and candy canes to melted chocolate. Spread out onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until set, at least 30 minutes (I usually leave it over night). Break the bark into pieces and serve.

In addition to the Peppermint Bark, I was able to make the dough for two more cookies last night. Knowing I would not be able to bake for the next two days while my embryos settle in, I got a couple ready so I can roll them and cook them on the weekend. I love, love, love baking. And the fact that I am a little behind is terrifying me.

Add to that fact that Hubby didn't know how he was going to give his 40 employees a gift this year (he always gave his old staff of ten a little gift each Christmas), silly me offered to bake and package up some goodies for him. So I am well on my way, just need a few boxes from the supplier and we will be set for delivery next week. No standing for the next few days though.

My assortment of recipe books. I buy one new on every year, and every year I add another cookie to the list of must makes. The list in the binder on the counter gets bigger and bigger, but I love it. And the fact that I can share them with forty people this year just makes it all that more exciting!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope all those people appreciate just how lucky they are to get some of Beachmama's baked goods, ymmmm!

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a double boiler, but sounds so good I may be tempted to try with a bowl??

11:53 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

That anonymous is ME ME ME!!! See? Beta blogger issues continue...

10:27 AM  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

That first anonymous was me! (second one was nancy)...d*mn beta, and not just this beta, kwim ;)

and now I want some bark more than ever, would it work without the peppermint extract?

11:15 AM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

Nancy, the bowl over the pot works just as well, no difference really.

TwinMom, it would work, just wouldn't be as pepperminty :)

5:26 PM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Oh wow! baking.

i remember when I used to get excited and bake up a storm for Christmas. Now I barely have time to turn aroun dlet alone bake anything. Although we did get our tortaire made. A MUST here.

hugs

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home