Sunday, November 04, 2007

Montréal, Québec

Montreal is a beautiful and wonderful city. It is so bittersweet for me to go there as it is so exciting but I miss who is not there anymore.

Each of the last four Fall's a bunch of my girlfriends go away for a weekend together. I have not been able to go for a whole weekend yet but, this is the second time I was able to join for a Saturday night dinner. It is supposed to be a weekend away without kids but, I cannot leave Apple yet, so I brought the clan and left Apple with Hubby for the night. She did marvelously as did he. He is exausted this evening so he got to experience my day for five and a half hours, four and a half of which Apple slept and three of which J slept. Hmm... I guess I didn't leave him long enough.

So yes, these wonderful girlfriends of mine. We all know each other from a common thread, our kids. We all struggled to have our children and were brought together through the internet so we formed a playgroup. As our kids keep getting older and are in school it is harder to get together for playgroup or playdates, however us Mom's try to have a dinner once in a while and then the Fall getaway. It was a wonderful night to dress up, even if I was wearing maternity pants, and see the sights of Montréal. I miss visiting Montréal, something I used to do once or twice a month, if not more.

Both my parents were born and raised in Montréal. Verdun and Ville Émard respectively. They left in 1967 for Ottawa but, my grandparents remained. All through my childhood weekends were spent going back and forth to Montréal. March breaks were spent at Grandma's house and our clothing was often purchased from the more stylish French stores. Even when my parents moved to Manitoba for a few years and I was left holding the fort in Ottawa, I went every other weekend to visit Grandma. There was always a place for me to stay, we would go out for lunch or just hang out together. Oh how I miss those days.My paternal Grandmother passed away over thirty years ago now but my maternal Grandmother, whom I used to visit, finally had to move to Ottawa and live with Mom and Dad back in '97. She spent her last five years here in Ottawa, something she vowed never to do. And since she moved here going to Montréal has never been the same for me. It leaves me mising her so much yet remembering all the fun we had. As well as making me wish I had spent even more time with her. This particular visit was probobly the easiest one I have had in ten years. Maybe because I was bringing my own kids to see the sights or maybe because we didn't have time to drive through the old neighbourhoods and stop at my favourite corner stores for some penny candy.

Hubby and I did not even get to do what we wanted to do. Travelling with an 8 week old was a little more difficult that we remembered. Probobly because we didn't travel with J until he was much older. We left Ottawa a bit later than we meant to, Apple cried for half of the two hour drive, and when we got there Hubby was so hungry all we had time to do before I had to join my girlfriends was to stop and eat. This morning we had enough time to grab breakfast then coffee and for me to snap a few photos before we had to start home. A was here with his buddy and we had to get them to hockey later this afternoon. And yes, Apple cried half the way home. J was so good in the car and still is that we are a little taken aback with Apple crying. It has really only been the last couple of weeks, so I need to figure out what happened and how to get back to great travelling as I will not give up going out.

So I have posted a few photos from the weekend but not nearly as many as I had wanted to. But, it was truly a great field trip and hopefully we can go again in the Spring or Summer and see more of our favourite sights.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Such a beautiful post filled with wonderful memories of your grandparents!

Sounds like a good weekend despite the crying. That is hard to take though, I remember it... But let's be honest, I didn't travel with an 8 week old! You are a brave woman!

:-)

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paige hated being in her car seat for her first four months, so I completely empathize with enduring car screaming.

Oh, Montreal sounds amazing! I really want to visit someday.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Family Adventure said...

I love Montreal, too, although I've only ever been once. But it was beautiful. The pictures you posted brought me right back!

Sorry that Apple does not like car rides. Is it possible that she gets car sick? My B boy also used to cry, and he suffers from motion sickness now.

Hope you'll get another chance to go back soon :)

Heidi

2:30 AM  
Blogger little miss mel said...

glad you made your way back!

traveling with kids in general blows big time chucks. Way to get out there!

We traveled from LA to San Diego when Rt was 5 weeks old. Anytime he started to hunger cry I yelled out that we needed to exit ASAP to get him out to feed. Such the drama. ;)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is a place I definitely need to add the girls getaway list. Thanks for taking me back.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yay! What a cool field trip! I get so excited when I see people write about their experience in my 'hometown'! Though I live on beautiful Manitoulin Island, Montreal will always be my hometown (even if it is a city)!!!

Some of the photos you took look like some of the ones I took during my last visit to MTL last month!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Karen MEG said...

A great girls' weekend away! I love Montreal too, was born there, we try to go to visit family at least every couple of years. We used to every year, that is until we had kids. Kudos to you for travelling with Apple when she's so young! Sorry she didn't enjoy the ride much, probably just a stage. Giselle hated the car until she was about 4 months old.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Kellan said...

It looks like it was a great field trip - cool pictures. Glad you had such a good time. See ya.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

IT WAS SOOO AWESOME TO SEE YOU AND THE REST OF YOUR FAMILY!

What a great surprsie and what a great time we had at supper. I just wish we had more of a chance to chat.

Hugs to you and thanks for a great Surprise!

6:22 PM  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

So great for you to join the rest of the gang, even if for just a night. Cool pics, especially so as I was right there 24 hours before you showed up. Hopefully, next time we can coordinate our schedules better ;)

As for crying Apple, well, having had two extremely colicky girls, we heard our fair share of crying in or out of cars. It never stopped us from traveling though as we started taking the twins when they were 5 weeks to our mountain getaway every second week-end!

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home