Tuesday, September 06, 2005

20 Years Ago Today...

... I was getting ready to go to grade 10! Every fall, I get the old nastalgia feeling for school. I hated highschool when I was there, but every year since I have missed it (during the fall). For a brief period of time, it was replaced by University, but it really wasn't the same.

My next door neighbours have two kids going into highschool this year. I was a little jealous of them. They were getting all their clothes ready, picking out what they would wear that first day!

For my first day of grade 10, I wore my purple "Jam" shorts (true surfer shorts, and that was long before I ever surfed) with a purple "Polo" shirt, a white "hoodie" sweatshirt over top and my white keds. Crazy that I remember eh? Ya, grade 10 was a great year! I always met my girlfriend, Natasha, halfway and walked the rest of the way with her. "This year is going to be great!" we would both say as we walked along Woodroffe Avenue. On our way to Confederation High School. Confed, as we called it, is closed now. It closed a few years ago and is now Yisak Rabin Jewish High School.

The best part of the first day of school was seeing all your friends that you didn't get to see all summer. Even today, I miss some of those friends. Some I have been in touch with and a few I cannot find, no matter how hard I try.

One friend sticks in my mind, Graham Sharpe. I have tried over the years to find him, but every time I get close it ends up in a dead end. Little did we know that this would be our last year of school together. Graham headed off to Germany in June after grade 10 as his Dad was transferred. The last time I saw him was when he returned in 1990...WOW! That was a long time ago!! He was one of my best friends back then, and I would love nothing better than to say hi.

This past weekend our street had a party, and it was really funny to find out that we had a few neighbours that we went to high school week. Perhaps that is what makes me more nastalgic this year. My husband and I went to high school together, but funny enough we didn't hang out together. He was more of a metal head/rocker type and I was more of a preppie/cheerleading type. We did know each other because of mutual friends, but did not start dating until much later, well, 10 years ago actually! It is kinda funny too that so many people remember him for his parties and playing guitar. When I tell people from school who I am married to, they always say "oh yeah, I went to his parties, they were great, they got busted". Of all the parties I went to, none were his. We went to the same highschool, but a different one at the same time.

I guess I should have called this an Ode to Highschool. In a few weeks the longing to walk the locker lined halls will pass and I will be thankful that I don't have to write any tests. But, I will always be thankful for the friends I met and the times I had. Highschool was great, not the best years of my life, but some of them. I would love to go back to the first day of school, just once... but everyone I want to see must be there too :)

Happy First Day of School Kids, Enjoy!

8 Comments:

Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

HA! Found you! And you didn't tell me. :0 I'm shocked.

And What were you thinking wearing those colours? LMAO!

Great Blogs Anna. I will be here with my Cuppa tea and reading!

Hugs
Sharon

2:30 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

After meeting with some other of your HS alum, did you ask any of them about your MIA friend? Maybe he'll google his name one day (come on, don't deny you haven't self-googled) and his name will pop up on your blog - that would be so kool!

2:39 PM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

LOL Nancy, I have Googled his name many times, never find him. Sadly, I do not appear when I do self-google... how sad :( I did inquire, but no one seems to know where he is. How do I make my blog appear to others in Google?

Sharon, I thought you knew I was here. Funny thing, I would have sent you the link. Enjoy the coffee.

Anna

3:41 PM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

LOL! I thought that my blog was available when you clicked on my "Beach Mama", that only happens on Halo Scan that Dani uses :) Ahhh... I learn something new every day. Welcome Pete :)

Anna

8:04 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

Have you listed with classmates.com - NOT spamming you, but have been found by two terrific lost friends that way.

8:16 AM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

Thanks Nancy, Have found terrific lost friends that way too. Alas, my search will continue. Funny how you can run into the same people year after year or week after week. I even ran into people when I lived in Winnipeg, but the ones you really want to run into seem to have disappeared.

Anna

10:48 AM  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

Hmmm, I was starting grade 10 20 years ago, too. Eek! Twenty years?!

There aren't too many people from that time in my life that I'd care to hear from, but there are a few.

LOL that you can remember what you wore... I can barely remember enough not to wear the same outfit two days in a row!

12:51 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

Sigh Dani, thanx for the reminder - just celebrated our 21 year hugh school reunion - it was a terrific experience, but sadly, we are getting (a little bit) old.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home