Friday, January 27, 2006

A Friday Poem

Nature's First Green is Gold,
Her Hardest Hue to Hold.
Her Early Leaf's a Flower,
But Only So an Hour.
Then Leaf Subsides to Leaf,
So Eden Sank to Grief.
So Dawn Goes Down Today,
Nothing Gold Can Stay.

Robert Frost.


My favorite poem of all time. When we studied it in one of my University English classes, I remember not wanting to listen because the Professor was giving it such a different meaning than it had for me.

I first heard Robert Frost's "Nothing Gold Can Stay" in the movie the "Outsiders". Which I read a lot and just finished helping "A" and our kid next door complete their English papers on it. It would appear that even 22 years after having read the book, I still remember more about it than they do! It reminds me of nature and how beautiful it can be, but it also reminds me of youth. And how as young teens, we take a lot for granted. Reminds me of simpler times and having fun. I think of the dawn in Summer time when the sun is shining and sparkling on the dew on the leaves. I know this poem is supposed to represent Autumn, but for me it is Summer.

I thought of it today because jo(e) over at jo(e)'s page, a new blog I have recently found via nancy, has recently started "poetry Friday". And since I haven't written a peom since High School, I thought I would post my favorite poem, since she got me thinking about it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's in the beginning of one of the Baby Einstien Videos too...
Baby Shakespear I think!
Barb

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My one and only favourite poem...also due to The Outsiders. I used to have it taped to my mirror. The one I used when I was curling my hair into tight sausages, and then feathering it out...great visual I know. What can I say, it was the early 80's.

Love that poem, really cherish it.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home