Thursday, September 08, 2005

Thinking about where to go

This is the first time in my driving career that I actually feel it is necessary to think about where I am going. The best car for gasoline that I had was a little '92 Geo Metro Convertible. It took at the most $20 to fill ($8 in the US) and I could drive a good two weeks or more. And that was when I was going to University so I was making two or three trips from the West End of Ottawa to Downtown. It was great. Oh yes, there were the two years I drove a motorcycle all summer. And well that was only what $6 to fill? I don't even remember how long I used to go without filling it up. But, I also drove around a lot more than I would have in a car. Now with my Nissan, which I love by the way, it took $67 of gas last week! I couldn't believe it. It was a big enough shock when I went from $20 to $40 to fill a car. But, $67, give me a big huge break!

I actually think twice about going out now. That is pretty sad. I save my car trips for the days when I have lots to do. Otherwise, I try to get out on foot. My husband and I even walked for groceries on the weekend. Not something I could do if it was a big weekly order. At least not without a wagon in tow. Only so much fits in the bottom of a stroller. The thing that concerns me is that winter is coming and that is when I feel like I have to get out more often.

I do realize that oil production is down in the US, but don't we get our oil from Alberta? I thought that Petro Canada did all the oil and gas production on Canadian soil. Hence, the "Canada" in their title. So why is it, that before it was even known that there may possibly be a shortage in the US, our gas hiked up? Here I go with questions again, why do we normally pay twice as much for gas as they do in the States? Why does the Canadian Government continue to say there is no price gouging or that there is nothing they can do? Ahh, if only we had the answers to all of these things, we would be back to paying $0 .45 per litre. In the meantime, I will continue to try to conserve. And perhaps we will be owners of hybrid or electric cars in the near future. We have already been considering a Smart car for my husband to drive to work. I shudder to mention the $98 it cost to fill up his van!!!

Yikes, think we will be walking today!

7 Comments:

Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Anna I'm with you. The best car for the fuel ecomomy is our Jetta Disiel. I could fill it up once a month and drive for 1200 km on a 55 litre tank. And we came "this close" to buying a 2nd when Nathan came along but as you know we thought there may be another one and we needed a family veichle...AND sooo came the Gas Can as I'm going to call it from now on. (Dodge Caravan) I'm not happy that I have to fill it up once a week. I mean NOT and I was not happy about it when the gas was .69 L. Jack is talking about a smart car for work and leaving me the disiel. I would jump at that if I could unload the gas can I'm driving.

I don't understand why there has NOT been a Hybrid before now. as my Smart beautiful daughter said lst week If we could build a car in the first place why can't we get a fossil Fuel free one by now? Good question don't you think?

I still only put in $50.00 And NO WAY I'm going any higher!

Sharon
Who runs out and does everything at the same time now too!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

OH and you know I would walke but the closest store being over 10 km away puts a dent in bring the grocecies home.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beachmama!! Just found you here too. THis blogging thingy sure is contagious.

Boy do I hear you on the gas thingy. Just got back from our trip/adventure and didn't know the price of gas had gone up so. Insanity. Because of where we live we always go out with many errands to run, walking unfortunately is out of the question. Dh using his motorcycle this summer really cut back on gas expenditure. Saw lots of Smart cars over in Europe, where gas prices have always been astronomical hence the great number of mopeds/cycles of every type. Friends of ours got a Smart car as well, They love it, still wondering though how it will fare in the winter driving situation.

You know Sharon, for sure they must have the technology to get cars moving without fossile fuels...but then the big rich gas companies would be loosing major income and in the end its always the almighty dollar that wins not the geeks flailing their banners "save the earth"

Take care beachmama...life is a beach

3:05 PM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

Twimmom+1, Welcome! Ya those Smart cars sure are smart. Our only concern was if our family car was in the shop, we wouldn't be able to fit everyone in. They do offer front seat accomodations for carseats, but then where to the other two sit? Will have to see where we go from there.

Sharon, my Dad drove a diesel for years, was able to do the Ottawa-Winnipeg run on a tank and a half!

Anna - who was happy to see that gas had dropped $.12 today!!

6:29 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

12 cents?? Only dropped 7 cents here. We are consciously walking more now than ever before. But once the -30 temps hit, the 20 minute walk to the library won't really be an option. Sigh.

My dad was recently at a big function dinner thingy where the speaker had a few good high gas price jokes, so they will soon be in abundance as well.

Nancy

10:50 PM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

** I forgot to add that I have heard that they can make a car that does not run on gas at all, but like TM+1 said the oil companies get the last say because they would lose so much money. I have also heard that they can make a car that does not break down, but again, the car companies would lose out!

Anna - one day it will all come into place.

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » »

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home