Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Oh Golf, How I Miss You So


Before J, I used to golf once or sometimes twice a week. I have not golfed once in five summers. First, I was pregant, then I had a baby with me, and then I just didn't have anyone to golf with me during the week. All my golfing girlfriends either had new babies or had gone back to work.

I used to golf with Hubby. Actually, I was the one that really got him started golfing. I started golfing with girls from work and we would occaisionally need a fourth. Then, Hubby went off the deep end. He was golfing every other day or at the range, getting custom clubs, eating, drinking, sleeping golf. He does that a lot when he really likes something.

We have golfed in Vancouver (see photo above of Fury Creek, not where we golfed but we had breakfast there), Victoria, Bermuda (twice), Tremblant, and all around the Ottawa region. It actually got to the point that we golfed so much, I was getting tired of it. I was actually pretty good. At least, I thought so.

I considered myself an average woman golfer. I was asked to play with the guys at work all the time. I have been taken to Eagle Creek by vendors. I have golfed with some of the Senior Executives at Nortel. I never professed to be a professional, but I could hold my own and send out a shock every now and then with a hole in one or the best score of the group.

Hubby told me a few weeks ago that I wasn't really a very good player. That took so much of the wind out of my sails that I think it carried to the driving range on Sunday. We decided to take "J" to the driving range so we could get out and hit a few balls. So, not only have I not hit a real golf ball in five years, but my toddler is hitting next to me saying, "help Mommy" and "look, look". And Hubby switched up some of my drivers. One of the shafts broke when he lent it to a friend, so now it is too short. The other is a hand me down from him. But, I don't know where my old favorite went. Needless to say I left a little frustrated. Hubby kept cracking jokes about my swing to the point that I gave up the last quarter of my bucket and sat on the bench.

I miss playing golf so much that I wanted to just pick up where I left off and start playing again. But, it looks like I will have to start with a few weeks at the range, and maybe a few visits all on my own, with no distractions.

Dear fairways, I miss you so. Fear not, I will return. Soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger chichimama said...

A friend and I have started heading to the driving range after the kids are in bed one night a week, it has been great. I hope you can find the time to get back to it too...

8:12 AM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

I hope you find the time to get back into the SWING if things. Hubby just doesn't want you to get better than him. Male ego and all.

;)

8:45 AM  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

ditto what SCM says!!!

I'm a golf widow. A few years back I figured if I couldn't fight it, may as well join them. So I took the sport up. Played in a few local tournaments for charities. Alwyas fun. Played my best rounds ever when preggo with the twins. Have played but a handful of times since. I'm below average but enjoy teh walk and the company and occsionally freak people out with my accurate putting ;)

Totally not fair for you to go to the driving range with a kid and lousy clubs. Perfect grounds for frustration.

I'm envisioning a day in the future, not too far I hope, when we can spend a leisurely few hours taking a round in and a few drinks too. Bet NorthernMom would be in on it too!!

Go hit that driving range now!!!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Northern Mom said...

How funny is twin mom! Head North Ladies..Head North. I haven't been out yet this year..nor to the range. I miss it...
I'm a bad golfer...hate the walking..hate that the little white ball is attacted to water...
Damn..gotta get out there!!

Pack your clubs and head this way....But then again....the course in The "Bogie" is rumoured to be pretty good....Do we have a fourth?

Northern Mom

10:12 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Neumann Stephens said...

My golf career was cut prematurely short. I got really clubs from Greg for my birthday and he took me to a driving range to learn for a summer. Then, I got pregnant and we haven't had the chance to return. In a way, I'm glad that I don't yearn for it the way some others do, but I would still like to learn soon!

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home