Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Ahhh... massage...

After a weekend of rest, I was feeling pretty confident that my back was pretty much better. I had big plans for yesterday. Then. I sneezed. Yes, my friends, I sneezed. That was it. I was back to barely walking.

I did what I had to do. I called my midwives, made sure it would be ok to get a massage and then booked an appointment. I had to wait until 3:15pm, but it was so worth it.

My wonderful massage therapist was too pregnant, so I felt pretty confident. Although her five month along belly looked alarmingly small compared to my 10 week belly. It too is her second, and she did admit to being worried, but apparently the baby is measuring on track. She is a rather petite woman so I gave her a bit of grace considering I am far from petite.

We got started and right away she could feel that I had a lot of scar tissue from previous back injuries. I was pretty surprised because this is not my first massage for my back and nobody else has ever said a word about it. She could feel the inflamation and heat from my back and started work ing on it. I thought it was sciatica, but thankfully it was not. It was my hip rotators. Which can mimic the sciatica, but will heal faster. She worked away for 45 minutes and when I left I was much more upright than when I got there.

I asked her if it was ok to start walking slowly and stuff as I have been couch bound for way too long. We had a good laugh when she said I should get up off my couch. She admits that it will hurt at first, but the more I can get everything moving the better it will be (as I sit here on my couch typing). And if I don't get moving soon, this pain will be bound to stay around until August or September and just get worse and worse. We don't want that happening, so I have already been for two short walks (taking J to Duffer Doo, and returning with his shoes) and a third in another hour or so. This is a good start. Hopefully I will get in a round of yoga this afternoon to start to stretch things out. Then more walking tomorrow. The pain is much better today and hopefully I won't need to sneeze for a few days and let my back catch up.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger twinmomplusone said...

that massage sounds heavenly, i"ve been wanting to go to one for quite some time...need to do something about that

and stretching exercises are a great idea for you Beachmama

take care

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home