Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Winter is here and life on the couch.


I have been trying to write this post since Monday, when Winter finally arrived. After much anticipation and wonder as to whether winter would make an appearance or not it reared its ugly head in the form of snow and freezing temperatures (we are talking a 35 degree difference from a week ago). Whether it is Global Warming, El Nino or God telling us never to expect the same thing year after year it arrived. And for some of us we could have gladly done without it, for others it means saving their livelyhoods or putting their new bought winter toys to good use.

I wish I had some fun things to share about playing in the snow or doing some fun winter activity, but nope. I have nothing but tales from the couch. J seems to be taking my relaxing in stride so I am happy about that. I had been having two good mornings where I was able to get off my couch and clean up the disaster our house has turned into. Tuesday I tidied and vacuumed the main level, something that gets done every other day normally hadn't been done in a week and a half almost! My carpets were driving me crazy. Wednesday I tackled the upstairs bathrooms. Oh the excitement, let me tell you. Then. All of a sudden, after cleanning the bathrooms, my back gave out. I can barely walk. Thankfully yesterday my Mom and Sister came to my aide and kept me company. And today, although feeling a bit better, I can't do much I had my Sister drop of J2 so J would be kept company and you know what? They are playing happily together in the 'good' living room as though I am not even here. I should have gone in there myself and enjoyed a different view and a softer couch with a cozier blanket, but because I was already established in the family room, they left me. I am good with it, I can hear them and they are doing great.

It is with mixed emotion that I am posting of the passing of our family friend who was 104 last summer. And I say with mixed emotion as she was 104 1/2 almost and she lived a full and wonderful life. Made even better these last two years since she has been living with my Aunt and Uncle. Who at 104 1/2 is still living in a house, next door to her own house complete with homemade food, loving care and attention 24 hours a day? On the other hand, I feel the loss for my Aunt and Uncle who have cared for her all these years. For my cousins who thought of her as a Grandma. Our own mutual Grandmother passed away in 1976, so this woman was kind of like our replacement Grandma. Although I only saw her once a year, she did make a few treks north with my Aunt and she will be missed by all of us. The worst part is that I won't be able to go to the service to support my family as I can't make the drive through the mountains at this time of year. I mean, I can, but would be terrified to hit a blizzard or get caught in a storm with J in the car, all by myself. It never mattered before I was a Mom, I would drive through anything, but now, I just don't take my chances. She will be missed and my prayers are with my Aunt and Uncle now, who have to sort through her house and settle up all her affairs. She did not have kids so there is only my family and a few neices and nephews who never came to see her but are waiting to see what she left to them.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger twinmomplusone said...

my condoleances Beachmama

sorry to hear about your back though, as if you needed that too

but still happy to hear you are living on the couch, it is ultimately a good thing ;)

hugs

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about your loss no matter what the age I donot think we are ready
for a loss. Hope your feeling better

2:54 PM  
Blogger chichimama said...

So sorry to hear about your loss, and that you won't be able to make the services. That must be so hard.

Also sorry about your back, hopefully it will recover soon!

6:17 PM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Sorry aobut your friend. Hugs to you.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Ann D said...

You are certainly going through a tough time right now. I hope this week is brighter for you. Sending you lots of hugs.
Ann

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooh I hope you feel better soon.

********
||||||||||

(pretend those are flowers!)

And, I am so sorry about your friend.

xo Cooper

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. It is always sad to lose a friend, no matter how old they are.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home