Monday, April 16, 2007

And this is what we woke up to...

Is is really April 16th??


I am sure if I check in on other blogs from the Eastern US and Canada, I will find similar photos or rantings at least, but I mean, come on already! The last time I saw snow this late in the year was when I lived in Winnipeg and that, at least, was expected.


Not only did we wake up to the snow, but we woke up because our power went out. Just before 6am the power shut down, which in our house, results in beeps and blurps filtering through the fire alarm system. This in turn makes our Huskey, Mickey, howl and whine because it is so high pitched that he hears more than we do. One of the alarms actually wouldn't stop bleeping, so we had to shut that breaker off completely. What a way to wake up.

The good thing about no power was that J had to survive until 2:20pm without TV or computers. I know, imagine having to play all day long! Once he got past the fact that there was nothing I could do he seemed alright. He would play for a while, then have a mini melt down, play again, melt again. This went on for most of the morning. We did go to the grocery store, but the roads weren't exactly stellar, so I didn't want to go far from home. And with the breaker off, if the power did come on I wanted to be able to flip it back on right away because it also controls our water heater.

The afternoon went quite well, the fireplace was still able to flip on and I could cook on the gas stove so we were doing alright. J wanted to go outside and play so I dug out his winter gear and let him out to play. He was trying to make snow angels, but the snow was so heavy you can't really tell where the angels were. The power came back on while he was out playing but I let him stay out for as long as he would stay, just because.
His reward was some curly fries and a kids show. Which he has already abandoned for his Lego. I have to admit that it was so quiet in here that the noise from the TV and refrigerator is really bugging me.
The only thing I missed during all this... my computer. I did grab a magazine at the grocery store and got some reading done.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger chichimama said...

Glad you have power back. I'm very suprised we didn't lose it, we lose power if someone even LOOKS at the grid funny.

Hope the snow melts soon. And if you have a boat, send it down this way so I can float around our yard...I think I might have preferred snow to the 8+inches of rain and counting...

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what I do without power or my computer. Makes me wonder what I used to do before. LOL!

Glad to hear everything got restored.

2:25 AM  
Blogger Good Things I Find said...

I think this date will be remembered by all of us around these parts. When will the sun ever shine. I saw on the news that April 15, 2003 it was a beautiful 25 degrees.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where I am it's 80s'. Surreal to be in the hot tub outside while some of the US is in snow. I still can't believe it's 2007!! Where's the Jetson sidewalks?

1:31 PM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

Chichimama - our grid is similar, but this time it knocked out most of the neighbourhood.

Kailani - My computer was the only thing I missed yesterday, but at least I know I can do without for a little while ;)

Thinking Square - I remember that April, I was pregnant with J, it was a gorgeous Spring.

MrsMogul - One of my Sister's was bragging about how wonderful Hawaii was and the other was bragging about her tan in the gorgeous weather of Nashville. I just want to see the sun again!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Wasn't that a nasty surprise. It was a great day for me to stay all curled up in bed. (being sick didn't hurt either)

I love the quiet when the power goes off although like you I miss the puter.

1:20 PM  
Blogger thethinker said...

We never get snow down here, whether in April or during the normal winter months.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home