Wednesday, May 16, 2007

All Consumed

I wish I could draw on the computer. Then I would draw a picture of my oh so sad car. I love my car, I really do. But.... and yes there is a but... things are starting to go wrong. When this happens, I don't want to drive them anymore.

I don't mind fixing cars when they need fixing. But when you have been driving a car for almost eight years and know that there is possibly a (almost) new one that will fit your whole family in the near future I don't want to fix it. On the other hand, if we don't fix it more could go wrong.

Ack! I want to pull my hair out!

We have two vehicles, a wonderful '92 Ford Aerostar (total age = 15 years) that costs more to put gas in it than anything else. Hubby no longer drives it to work so it sits in the driveway for occaisional use. My Dad has actually been driving it for his work this past couple of months. This is the vehicle that we intend to not own anymore. It was given to us and has served us very well, but really without shoulder belts it isn't useful to us anymore.

Then we have my old car, a '98 Nissan Altima (total age= 9 years), oh how I love my car. With it's five speed manual transmission and leather interior, I truly love it. But, the plush comfy seats in the back aren't condusive to two car seats and a fifteen year old. I can certainly cram the carseats in, no problem, but adding a teenager who never really complains but asked how he would fit with his new Sister joining us (I already drive with the seat leaning back into his legroom, it doesn't always pay to be tall) it's time to look for something newer.

Last week was the start of the car troubles. Hubby hit a pothole (one of too many in our beautiful city) and broke the linkage bar on the right side. Our mechanic ( a wonderful man from Mexico, José, nothing like a good mechanic) found an oil leak and some lose ball joints. We left the ball joints for now, but today when I took her in to get a bracket installed on the muffler he saw that the transmission fluid was leaking out too! Further inspection revealed that the bearings are gone in the transmission (and probobly have been for a while as I drive it pretty hard) . José did say if we don't mean to drive it much anymore then he could probobly fix up the leak and leave it, but if we were going to keep it for a couple of years for our soon to be driving teenager, we should really fix it. Ack!!

The thing is, now I don't want to drive it anymore. I don't care when it's just me in the car, but with J I hate when things go wrong. And with Hubby taking the bus he can't just leave work and get me if something happens. I have to rely on my Dad to leave his work and fetch us, which he does with Love, but still.

So now I am on the search for a new used vehicle. We were hoping to wait until the fall when all the sales are on, but it looks like we might have to forego our annual trip to the beach (Double Ack!!) and get something sooner.

I hope that we can find a solution to our car troubles soon, this is beginning to stress me out.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger chichimama said...

Ulgh. I am so, so sorry. we have been thrilled with our Honda, although I don't think it would solve your problems as with two car seats in the back, it is rather tight.

Good luck...I so hope you don't have to cancel your beach vacation.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Karen MEG said...

Cars, it's expensive to live with them; hard to live without them (especially in the burbs!).
Good luck with your car search. Even though I never thought I would drive a minivan, I've got a Honda Odyssey - I'm a big fan of Hondas (had an Accord before). It seemed so huge when I first got it - but with the carseats, strollers and more gear as the kids get older, I don't think there's any turning back.
Hope you can still get to the beach!!

9:25 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

our *old smokey* van got towed away to a buyer last week: it needs a replacement diesel engine, so we sold it cheep cheep.
we now have 2 cars that each cost under $NZ 2000.... they're very cool and inexpensive. let's hope they last while we save madly for replacements....

11:18 PM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Anna

Yup you may be in line for a Mini van. My advice,,, DON"T buy a Caravan...I like th drive but It's caused alot of trouble for me. Honsetly get anything else.

And I liked your car too.

Hugs

7:57 AM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

Poor you... Good luck with it... Keepingmy fingers crossed for a bargain...

We live in the city... and we gave up our 1988 Eurosport Stationwagon...I know you are jealous that you did not know me to buy such an antiquity....
But, to get rid of it... It waslike my husband was saying good bye to Old Shep...

8:00 AM  
Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Good luck in the car search.

I am currently on my 3rd car to ever own.

I drove my Jeep for...6 years. I just got a new car in November.
It was bittersweet. That's the only way I can describe getting a new car---bittersweet.
But, I feel that I am less likely to be stranded on the side of the road in my new car. So, that's a BONUS!

And....I've seen commercials for the new Altimas. They look AWESOME!
However....it kind of sounds like you might need something bigger!

10:50 AM  
Blogger lauren said...

Car fix can be costly. I also wanted a new car but i still can't afford a new one and the only choice right now is to get my car fix. So i bought nissan ball joint and muffler and it should be done by next week.

You can also find used cars online.. goodluck!

9:20 PM  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

oh how I feel your pain, I was there just a few months ago when I had to finally get gutsy enough and admit that my beloved Subaru Outback had to go after 12 years ( it had replace my first car, a Toyota Corollas that I kept for over 10 years too)

so yes, with two car seats and a teenager who just about had it with being squished between the two car seats (and getting abused by her younger siblings on long car rides) we broke down and got a mini-van, Toyota Sienna and I have to admit in loving it, especially its economical gas consumption and the extra room we all have and being able to also bring along occasionally my parents and other friends

we lucked out and found a gently used model online, totally worth the search

good luck

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home