Monday, June 25, 2007

A First

For me anyway to officially enlarge, print and frame one of my own photographs. As artwork.


Sure I have printed of photos of the kids and family and put them in frames, but this is different. I needed something beachy to bring the beach back to my kitchen after the paint job. I looked everywhere and saw a few photos I liked, then I realized. Duh. I have tons of photos of the beach that I actually took myself. Why should I pay for someone elses photos?


So I did it.
My first intention was to blow it up to poster size. I was ordering some prints from Costco and the largest size they had was 12x18 for $2.50, so I thought I would try it out before spending $30 to make a poster. And it turned out great! I found a beachy type wood frame at Michael's and picked up some mat and glass and a mat cutter (this was all cheaper than paying them $160 to frame it) and here it is. Tada.

I took the photo last summer during Tropical Storm Ernesto and the dot to the right in the distance is actually Hubby and A standing by the shoreline watching the crazy water and waves. It is funny that I would choose a photo from a tropical storm, but the colour of the dark sky matches the paint exactly and the sand matches the cabinets, so it was the perfect one to choose.

This second shot shows how it goes with the colours in the kitchen. I must say I am quite happy with my peice of artwork and will be doing much more of this in the future. Especially because I bought a mat cutter and have lots of mat left over so I can frame up a whole whack of photos and decorate the rooms upstairs. This may be the beginning of a new thing for me.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the wall color!! I am too lazy to matt. That's so brave to be near the water during tropical storm Ernesto. I am a wimp and probably would drive 100 miles out of the way!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice! That looks great!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Karen MEG said...

That is gorgeous ... and what a talent you are matting it yourself! That's so tough in itself - my husband tried to do it and almost sliced his finger off. So we brought our stuff to Michael's and paid a mint for someone else to do it.
You're saving big bucks doing it yourself.

5:32 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

oh that surf looks *so good*!!!!!!!
what a wonderful thing, bringing the beach inside. love the new wall colour too X

8:02 PM  
Blogger chichimama said...

Ohhh! I love it!!!!! Nice job!

9:26 PM  
Blogger familymclean said...

Fab!!! Can't wait to see what else you frame, your photpgraphy is awesome!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Freckles said...

Love the wall colour and LOVE the picture! Could you email one to me...it's a little far away and I would love to see it up close. Your kitchen looks really great sis!! Catching up tonight. Sure miss you guys!!

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I really should get some of my photos framed too.

But how do I pick just one! ;)

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The colors are perfect for that room! It looks great!

4:09 PM  
Blogger little miss mel said...

Nice job!

Way to be so inventive!


It goes just perfect in your kitchen!

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home