Monday, June 18, 2007

Mascara Update

Exhibit A: Which was accidentally taken last week during my self-portrait day for Whoorl. I am wearing Clinique Lash Doubling Mascara in Black. This is the one I have made do with for the last year or so after testing many, many different brands (some drugstore brands, some cosmetic counter brands).

Exhibit B: I took today. Wearing my Yves Saint Laurent Faux Cils in Black. There is definately a difference.

I ususally give Mascaras a week before I pass judgement, but I know some of you are eagerly awaiting the results of my testing, so I am posting a mere three days into using it. My overall rating is going to be a 7 out of 10.

Day One: At first I was not entirely impressed. The mascara brush is great for brushing long lashes, but not for adding any volume at all. That is one of the differences with the Dior brush. It was flat througout with a round end, no one has had a brush like it since. This brush is round throughout and has lots of bristles, this type of brush is usually called a teddy bear brush which ads thickness to lashes without too much legnth. In this case I think they made the bristles shorter so you get a bit more legnth and not as much volume. I like to have both.

In order to achieve the look that I enjoy, I had to coat my lashes about four times when normally I do it only twice. This might change in a week or so when the mascara gets a bit of air in it and thickens up. I find most mascaras annoying for about a week until they aren't fresh from the tube.

The mascara stayed in place all day but, I will say that by the end of the evening the tips had flaked off a bit, which is something I do not enjoy. I want a mascara that I can rely on from morning until night, just in case.

Day Two: The wash test. After washing off my mascara, I had to pull out the eye make up remover to get the rest of the mascara that did not come off with the soap. Both Dior and Clinique come off with soap or just plain water if you need to. So in the event that you go swimming with your mascara on you know within a few good underwater wipes you have no residue. Not the case here, I won't bring this one to the beach.

Day Three (today): I found today easier to put on and only required three coats. But, as you will notice in the photo it looks a little clumpy today. It didn't look clumpy on Saturday and Sunday so we will have to see again how the rest of the week plays out and if I can get away with only two coats.

This is why I am giving it a 7 out of 10. Dior was a perfect 10 and this is missing a few key ingredients to get that full 10 points. Is is worth the $42 a tube? That I will have to decide at the end of my week of wearing it.

p.s. I will say that my eyelashes looked awesome while I was driving around in my new vehicle this weekend. Hubby thinks this is the coolest I have ever looked in a car, I think it comes a close second to my convertable.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger familymclean said...

I have also tried the Dior, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Lancomb and at least 8-12 drug store brands, I always go back to Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. It seems to make me happy and it is only $5 to boot.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

$42 a tube? Yikes! I'm with familymclean, I use Maybelline Great Lash and I love it!

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is about where a guy politely excuses himself & leaves the room. Does M have any power tool or Mountain Biking blogs?

;)

7:54 AM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

WHEN DID YOU GET THE NEW CAR???!!!!
WHAT TYPE IS IT?
SHIT If I had time I'd pick up the phone and call. I never read a post about a new car....

Anna DISH!

7:57 AM  
Blogger nancy said...

I have tried mascara's, am OK with the freebie in the Clinique bonus pack, but always find myself going back to the Maybelline one with the pink case and green lid. Seems the best for me.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

WOW! You know, I find it sooooo unfair how my husband, my brothers and my 3 month old nephew all have such luscious, long eyelashes...and I've got these wimpy things! I hate it! LOL! I'm still on the look out for a miracle mascara that will give the illusion of lush, thick, long lashes! :)
Thanks for posting this!

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You really know your mascara!

I have noticed a bit of flaking as well...I am an eye rubber, so I thought it might be that.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Ahtahkakoop Christian Academy's Blog said...

Hi Anna like your blog later Teena

3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home