Monday, July 09, 2007

Back from the Beach


"We're going to the beach, the beach, the beach..." is the song J sang almost the entire ride to Rehoboth. It was so heartbreaking for him to realize that we had to spend one night at my Aunt and Uncles before we actually saw the beach. But in the end it was so worth it. My cousins dog Buddy was visiting so J had lots of fun entertaining my Uncle and playing with Buddy.

Our first stop on the way to Rehoboth was a detour to Ocean City, Maryland to visit with my cousins. Their beach is gorgeous and we often think of renting their condo for the week, but and yes, there is a but. Their condo isn't close to the boardwalk, so going out for a morning, afternoon and evening stroll is much more stressful on a busy street than it is on the boardwalk, so for now we stay in Rehoboth. J found many sea creatures in Ocean City and Hubby found a horseshoe crab that wandered too close to shore.
We woke up Sunday to beautiful weather and gorgeous sunshine. Hubby went for a run, J and I went for a walk and A slept. Within the first few hours of being at the beach we were well on our way to being rejuvinated. I, myself, had been having creativity block for many things. I was feeling uninspired, but by the Monday morning so many thoughts and ideas were bursting to come out I had to buy a journal to write it all down. It is very obvious that my creativity is rejuvinated by being at the beach.
We got to experience a fantastic 4th of July. The weather was cool and there was a high seas warning so many beach fireworks were cancelled. Fortunately for us the fireworks were on the beach and at the end of our street so we were able to put on a sweatshirt and not fight the crowds to see them. And it is sad to say, but they were much better than any Hubby and I have seen living here in the Capital of Canada. We were so blown away we prebooked our week next year.The owners of the cottage that we rent were there and invited us down to light up some sparklers. It was wonderful to meet them and to share in the festivities. The kids hit it off and chatted every time we met up.

I have so many stories to share and even more photos. We truly had a wonderful week and feel like we are ready or almost ready for the rest of the summer.


Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger 180360 said...

Ohhh... I'm so envious. I wish I could go to the beach! Instead I'll just shoot some salt water up my nose and pretend I'm there- hehe! :)

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally weird!! We were in both Bethany and Rehoboth that exact same week and had such an amazing time, too. The weather was unbelievable (we are from the DC area but live in Colorado now and the weather was like Denver weather...beautiful with very little humidity...unheard of in the northeast in July).
The fireworks WERE spectacular. We loved it all...Nico-boli's, Thrashers and have you had "the seafood shack?"...they have the best oyster po'boys EVAH!
All was great, but what was up with rocks on the beach the last day??? Anyway, still find it weird that we were in the same place at the same time and I stumbled across your blog the day before we left. HHHHMMMMMM.....

7:59 AM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

Anon#2! How fun eh? I have never had the seafood shack, I am assuming it is in Bethany or Dewey, but maybe next year when I can actually have seafood again. The rocks are from the beach replenishment they did three years ago. Somedays they aren't noticable at all, others you can hardly get in the water. We are hugely disappointed as we were told by now that they would be gone. Wherever they got the sand from it was totally a rock area. Do you have a blog I can check out?

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 4th of July just isn't the same without fireworks. Glad you were able to celebrate in style!

6:45 PM  
Blogger chichimama said...

Sounds like so much fun!!!! Welcome back!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a fantastic time had by all! :) I love family vacations!
You look great in that photo!

I've been to Ottawa for Canada Day and it's quite festive, but I was disappointed in the way of how fireworks were like there. Have you ever been to Montreal for the international fireworks competitions?

Oh, don't even ask about how the fireworks are here on the island! LOL! I was shocked the first time I saw them here. Being from the city, I expected much more. Now, I think that though the fireworks here are simple and not as impressive, what is impressive is the look on the kids' faces when they see them. The kids here are just in awe and that is what is special :)

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home