Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Another Mascara Update and Oh So Many Police

Yesterday we had to accomplish a few downtown chores. J had his four year Doctor's appointment so he could get a check of good health for school. Our family Doctor is downtown, silly I know, but I have known him and his wife (the nurse) for almost fifteen years and they have saved me from numerous medical tests and interventions when other Doctors failed me. So off we went.

After a check of good health and a very well behaved little boy, we decided, ok, I decided I could make a little trip to the market to the Lush store to pick up some foot soak and Karma soap for the powder room. We use Karma for the sheer smell alone. It freshens up the powder room and there is always a little hint of patchouli when you walk by. Our little trip went well so J asked if we could get a bagel for lunch and meet Daddy. Seeing that it was noon, I called and we were able to catch him. So off we went to meet Daddy for lunch.

All being well we took a small walk to 240 Sparks so I could return my expensive mascara to Holt Renfrew. I know you all must be shocked that I the mascara that gave me really long lashes and I paid a lot for didn't live up to the expectations. I gave it a bit of time. It was great for the first couple of weeks. Then I didn't wear it at the beach due to the smudge fact when it got wet. Then when I came home I realized that it was taking four coats to get a nice enough look. By the fourth coat it was really thick and starting to clump. That and the fact that it was making my eyes water made me think it just wasn't up to snuff. So I decided to take it back.

I was just going to return it, but the manager suggested I try Prescriptives mascara. Again, this is one that I have never tried before as it only available at Holt's. And since it was almost ten dollars cheaper I decided to give it a go. It is called Beyond Long mascara. I tried it out today. Not bad for a first day, I'll give it that, it is not as thick as the Yves St. Laurent but it definately brought out the legnth. Will see how it does with the wash test and the after a week test. Otherwise, we will be going downtown again.

Oh yes, and the police. After leaving Hubby we started walking by a building downtown where there was obvious police presense. Two bicycle officers at least every 30 feet. I called Hubby to see if he knew what was going on but he didn't, so I started walking faster. On our way out of 240 Sparks and walking back to the car, there were police every 10 feet on the sidewalk, and in between there were police in their vans, SUVs, cars, swat on the road. Then I saw all the black cars with their red lights sitting along side of the building. I finally said to two officers, "Should we really be walking along here?". She laughed and said, "Oh, it's nothing to worry about.". Nothing to worry about??? There were more police in a one block radius than follow the Prime Minister around. There was obviously a reason for all this police presence but really, nothing to worry about? Will my Son and I and my unborn baby be caught in some crossfire or something? I walked as fast as I could manage and got to the car and got the heck out of there.

In the end it turned out that the President of Mexico was making a stop downtown on his way to a Summit with the Prime Minister and the President of the United States that was being held in Montebello. She could of just said it is the President of Mexico instead of trying to make me feel like nothing was going on when it was evident that I could have chosen another street to walk down.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so picky about mascara! I can never find one that meets my demands. Longer lashes, defines lashes, no clumpies, and doesn't none have ever made me happy, except for a Clinique one that was discontinued long ago.

~~~~
~~~~
still sending labor vibes your way
~~~~
~~~~

11:18 PM  
Blogger Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Jealous of Holt Renfrew - no such luxuries in these parts!

I would have been a bit frightened by that concentration of the men in blue too!

11:24 PM  
Blogger familymclean said...

Wow! All that excitement, I would be in labour after all that!

3:45 AM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

I'm not to picky about mascara. BUT I do like Rimmel. It seems to be really nice. I also like Avon. BUT I'm lucky no matter what I use I only ever need one coat.

And

How scarey was that. How could she say OH nothing to worry about. You never know what is going to happen. BUT I guess It is funny to think the Pres of Mexico was shopping for Gifts for his cohorts in Montabello. LOL! Maybe he was buying mascara too!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

WHERE'S THAT BABY! You know tomorrow is your deadline! ;)

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mabelline Long Lasting Mascara is the bomb! Waterproof, too!

1:09 PM  
Blogger 180360 said...

I've worn Clinique Naturally Glossy Mascara since high school. It is the only mascara I've tried that doesn't clump, rinses off easily and makes my lashes look longer while still looking natural.

The patchouli soap sounds interesting. Would remind me of my hippy days in college. :) I love patchouli. We don't have Lush here, though.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home