Thursday, October 11, 2007

Dear Officer Olaf*

I know it is your job to pull people over who are breaking the law. I know that when you set a speed trap you expect people to slow down, before they get anywhere near your radar gun. I know that the speed limit in that zone is 60km/h and I know you have and will continue to be there all week long.

But, if you aren't there, does it mean that I can speed?

When a new Mom with obvious dark circles under her eyes and two kids in the back tells you that her baby was screaming so she was distracted, could you not believe her instead of sticking your head through the window to question why she isn't screaming anymore?

I know you were just doing your job, but when you keep telling me that the limit was 60 and I had not slowed down from the previous limit of 80 so much so that I break down and cry, while now feeding my again screaming baby. That of course, you did not hear because you were running my licence and seeing that I had no prior convictions or speeding tickets... EVER. Could you not have just forgiven me and pulled over the five other people that were behind me doing the exact same speed? Just wondering.

When my son started crying because he thought his Mom was going to jail, could you have not just walked away with giving me a warning. You know like the two I received when I was young and stupid and doing 60 over the limit on the highway instead of 20 over with screaming kids and a singing Grandma? Oh you didn't know that woman was my Mom, the one trying to calm the kids down in the backseat at the same time she was trying to justify my oversight. Yes, her, she is the one person who could have told you, if you had wanted to listen, that I never speed with the kids in the car. It was just one of those days. When all the distractions possible in the world, except a ringing cell phone, were happening in my car.

So, Officer Olaf. I know that after writing up my ticket and seeing me and my son crying, while I was feeding my new baby and my Mom was singing some U2, you felt terrible for writing that ticket. Maybe, just maybe next time you will give that new Mom a chance and let her off with a warning. I should acknowledge that you did drop it down so I wouldn't lose any points, but you know... you just killed my perfect driving record. And the worst part of it is... that if the baby hadn't been screaming I would have gone a different way home to drop off my library books.

Thanks,
BeachMama xoxo

*named changed for you know security reasons.

And for the record, I will admit to previously being a fast, very fast driver. But, I no longer drive like Mario Andretti, so I guess you could say I took one for the team, but I really don't think it is fair considering I am that annyoing Mom who drives the exact speed limit now. Yes, that is me in front of you... and you better be prepared to stop at the stop sign too, because if you don't you will be rear-ending me.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Kellan said...

You just never know when they might give a break or not - do ya! Sorry you got the ticket - I'd have given you a break - especially after all the tears - poor thing. See ya.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! Sorry you had to go through that! You poor thing!

3:46 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

oh that is so stink.
(((hugs)))
yeah what is it that cops always HIDE in Unsuspecting Places and JUMP out and grab ya. i hate that.
not that it's happened to me either... well, once or twice X

4:27 PM  
Blogger Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Grrr, just what you needed! I think Mr. Olaf could have given you a break and instead caught the 16 year old kid that sped through a stop sign right by our school yesterday.

Grrr.

Sorry you got a ticket and hope you have a better day tomorrow!

4:43 PM  
Blogger Karen MEG said...

That was pretty mean of Officer Olaf - probably not a parent. Or he had a quota he had to fill. Whatever, it wasn't very charitable of him at all, given your obvious situation.
Sorry you, your mom and the kids had to go through that. At least you didn't lose points.

6:23 PM  
Blogger chichimama said...

Grr. Grrr. Mean officer. I'm so sorry....

10:58 PM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Oh that sucks.
Hugs to you sweetie!

9:38 AM  
Blogger little miss mel said...

all i can say is UGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH.

11:27 PM  
Blogger familymclean said...

So feeling for you. Same thing happened to me.....screaming kids too. Mean cop.

2:23 AM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

Do not truly understand how Officer Olaf was serving or protecting here....
So sorry that he was void of any human compassion...

11:29 AM  
Blogger Family Adventure said...

I'm so sorry! He should have left you off. Obviously he has no kids!
- Heidi

2:01 PM  
Blogger 180360 said...

That sucks! Crying has never worked for me. ;)

I used to get at least 2 tickets annually. The last time I went to traffic school I swore I'd change my driving habits. Since then, I've become a much happier and more relaxed driver.

3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unlike the rest of your commentors, I don't support your lament.
You WERE breaking the law, by a considerable amount and if you were say, walking your dog along that street and a speeder (such as yourself) caused an accident and killed you, you'd be outraged that the police officers didn't do more to control the speed on that street and you'd blame the speeder for driving at an usafe speed.
The officer was just doing the job he is so underpaid and underappreciated to do.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home