Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Retro Day at Grandma's

Last Saturday, my youngest Sister threw a garage sale. And I say threw instead of had because like everything in her life it was more of a social gathering than a sale. She had people coming to hear stories of her travels and pick up an item of clothing bought in Europe or Stateside. Clothes were her biggest hit. She sold oodles of clothes for $0.50 a piece and almost all of it went. She sold old computers that Hubby and I put together for her during highschool and she sold one of our old monitors for $20!!! I couldn't believe it myself.

While we were helping her purge, sort and prepare she came accross an old box of outdoor stuff, inside were two gems. Two items that made my summers in the 1970's some of the best ones to date.

The good old traditional sprinkler. We spent many, many summer days, year after year running and playing and stepping on this sprinkler. And there it was in all it's glory waiting for J & J2 to have fun. I couldn't believe it still worked and sure enough my Dad had it stashed away while they would buy a new sprinkler every few years (because they just don't last like they used to) they could have been bringing out old glory.

Second, and these are the "piece de resistance", my first real pair of roller skates. I bought them second hand for $20 from a friend of my sisters. They are a size 8 so my feet are a little squished in there, so much so that I couldn't actually skate anywhere. Those were the first skates I wore to "Skateway". They have seen better days, but they are still in tact and it was wonderful to see them again. I did get my boot skates a few years later and they were a size 9. They are currently in my garage on the shelf, where I take them down once a year and go for a spin on the driveway before putting my rollerblades on. Because rollerskates just aren't cool anymore.

3 Comments:

Blogger nancy said...

I have a sprinkler like that! Well, we have a new one but also an older one too...love it.

Roller skates are so IN IN IN if you want them to be.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Even i went to roller rinks. So cool.

And we still have a sprinkler somewhere. We use it for the garden but we also love to run through it.

Hugs

3:31 PM  
Blogger Good Things I Find said...

I still have my old rollers skates in the basement white with red wheels. I still remember the day my dad bought them for me, at Eatons.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home