Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Finding my creativity

Here is our cottage. There are two levels, both exactly the same with different furniture. I know it doesn't look like much, but it is wonderful. Last year we stayed downstairs where the porch has a front door, a little nerve wracking when you have toddlers that can reach the lock on the door. This year we stayed upstairs where you can only exit through the kitchen at the back. We found things with both that we liked. We prefer upstairs because you can sit up on the stools at the table and watch the world go by. We enjoyed downstairs because it had much nicer furntiure and no stairs. We booked in for upstairs again next year because, well, the porch won out.
This is one of the views I had from the porch. There are actually two houses here, the white one on the left and a dark brown one hidden in the trees on the right. As I sat with my coffee the first morning all of a sudden I could see my characters in my novel living in these cottages. I started working on the rewrite of my novel back in March but, I just couldn't get unstuck from where my characters were and how fast I wrote it. I needed inspiration, but was getting nothing sitting here in suburbia. Within a day, I had a whole rewrite going in my head. And since Hubby decided we didn't need to bring out laptop because wireless was scarce last year. I had nothing but paper towel to write on. So off I went to the bookstore to purchase a journal. For three mornings I saw my characters and their stories intertwining. Some of the novel has changed a bit, but that is good because it wasn't working for me the way it was.
Not only did my writing get inspired but so did my photography. I didn't take as many photos as I wanted to, because carrying around my camera bag with my belly was a little more difficult than I first thought it was going to be. And Hubby was so inspired by my inspiration that he bought me another lens for my camera. I feel so blessed because our trip was gift enough, but he knows how much I love taking photos and how often I use my camera that he figured it would be best to make the purchase down there where our dollar was almost the same, there is no sales tax and the actual merchandise is a third less than up here. It may just become an annual event. And Bob at the photo studio was fantastic. Nobody sells DSLR's and accessories anywhere near the beach. Everyone told us to go to NYC, which would have been great if we hadn't been at the beach for a week. But, Bob has a supplier that could UPS me a lens overnight. It ended up that I missed the first truck, but got to extend our beach time on Saturday while we waited for the lens to come in. I didn't get to take any photos with it at the beach, but I have been playing with it since we got home and am in love with it.
All that inspiration has already led me back to my sewing here at home. I just didn't feel any creativity prior to vacation but it is back and I am so thankful. I don't like feeling like I have lost everything all at once. I knew our trip was going to be tough, travelling at eight months pregnant is not ideal, but it was so worth it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger DaniGirl said...

It all sounds wonderful - the cottage, the beach, the muse, the new lens... glad to hear you had such a restful and restorative vacation!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

A magical cabin held fast by indelible moments... what a wonderful gift...

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cool, lucky you.. what type of lens did you get?

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh i want a cottage! But no cobwebs in my cottage! I get freaked! I need more practice picture taking. I actually suck! LOL

8:08 PM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

mrsmogul, I would love a cottage too, but silly us didn't buy 12 years ago before the market skyrocketed. That wooden little cottage you see... valued at just over a million! And that is cheap, cheap, cheap.

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I give you so much credit, girl! There's no way I would have had the energy to go anywhere in my last trimester!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How wonderful it is to get away, relax and get those creative juices flowing!

Love your cottage! Our home on our farm doesn't look like much from the outside, but the inside is perfect for us :) People are often surprised at how big the inside of our house is when they come in!

Your photos are wonderful :)

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home