Friday, December 02, 2005

Dear Second Cup

Today was such a wonderful snowy day that I thought I would stop in at your Bank and (Lisgar) Slater* location for a Chai Latte and a treat for my son. Unfortunately my stroller would not fit in through either of your two entrances. The disappointment was huge. I strongly support Canadian anytime I can, but could not today. I was, however, able to fit my stroller through the doors at the Starbucks directly accross the street.

I was reminded of a commercial in the '70's that used to make me cry. The song was "Hey, hey, hey don't forget about me" at the end of the commercial a guy was left sitting in his wheelchair at the bottom of the University steps as all the others had run up the steps. I could have easily left my stroller in the car and gone for coffee, the choice was mine. If I had been in a wheelchair, there would have been no way no how I could have remotely entered that store.

Shame on you.

*Edited to correct to Slater, not sure why I was thinking Lisgar.

5 Comments:

Blogger nancy said...

Good letter. Now you should REALLY mail it, that or send it to the 'letters' in the Citizen - then you'll get some action - or at least a coupon for a free coffee.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ditto what nancy said!!

when the twins were little, I had them in a double side-by-side jogging stroller the same width as a wheelchair. We got to quickly realize what people in wheelchairs live: like the time we went to the Home Show and had to go around the building from the main entrance to this elevator in a grungy part of the building, or not able to go through aisles at certain stores and entrance doors of course and deadly high sidewalk curbs, etc.etc

5:25 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Seriously, tell them. That stinks. They should want your $7 for a cup of coffee too!

12:11 AM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

Done :)

7:58 AM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Good Job Anna. No one just be left out because one can't fit through narrow door ways. Is this an old Store? Funny I though all buinesses have to accomidate everyone.

Glad you sent it.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home